Let's just preface this by saying this week's New Music Friday — exciting as it is — is a complete shambles. For a start, Britney and Katy have both released songs today but neither appears on Spotify. [UPDATE: The Britney song's now on Spotify.] But regarding this week's new releases, or at least the ones that have popped up on Spotify:
- Tinashe appears twice — her proper single 'Superlove' is fine but doesn't exactly sound like the song that's going to propel her into the pop stratosphere. Her KDA collaboration 'Just Say', however, is really distinctive and special.
- AlunaGeorge's 'Mean What I Mean' is the best song they've released in a while.
- The DJ Koze mix of Låpsley's 'Operator' — billed as the 'disco edit' — has now appeared on Spotify and it's brilliant in a dance-music-for-old-people kind of way.
- Following last month's Monsieur Adi mix, morgxn's 'Love You With The Lights' on gets another kick up the arse, this time from Savoir Adore. It's GREAT.
- Alicia Keys gets a brilliant get-this-more-airplay remix from Kaskade.
- Jake Shears turns up on the Bright Light Bright Light album.
- 'Sort It Out Sharon' is the best songtitle of the week.
- Robyn's still fucking around with that remix album. This week's instalment is a pleasant but unnecessary new version of 'With Every Heartbeat'.
- 5 Seconds Of Summer's single isn't the best song you'll hear all week, but at the same time it's one of the more interesting sonic 'departures'.
- Zayn's Snakehips collaboration sounds a lot like how you'd expect a Zayn and Snakehips collaboration to sound.
- The new Hailee Steinfeld song also sounds a lot like how you'd expect a Zayn and Snakehips collaboration to sound.
We didn't include 'PJ Harvey', apols. Subscribe to Popjustice's rotating New Music Friday Spotify playlist here