Record Store Day 2014: the exclusive releases worth bothering with
Posted by Popjustice on
Mar 20 2014, 17:01
Record Store Day: it’s more than just a terrible logo. It’s a chance to celebrate the way record shops provide a completely unique (unless you have an internet connection) chance to browse music, to chance upon something you might never usually have bought, to broaden your horizons and to take chances with your musical taste.
Mind you if you can’t be fucked with all that, we’ve compiled a list of the only 2014 Record Store Day exclusives worth bothering with, whittled down from an original list of over 700 releases, many of which look so boring that we actually fell asleep three times while putting our list together.
1. We copied and pasted a massive list off new-vinyl.blogspot.co.uk.
2. We then whacked the whole thing into a Word document because the formatting went funny in Pages.
3. The original list was broken down by format, territory and so on. We took out all those subheadings.
4. Then we put everything into a nice alphabetical list.
5. Then we deleted the shit. It was bad news for Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.
6. Finally, we chucked the list of 26 remaining items – that’s less than 4% of what’s being flogged on Record Store Day – below these words.
Here’s the list
Pink text denotes actually really interesting
• ABBA Waterloo 7″
• Allen, Lily Wind Your Neck In
• Bastille Of The Night EP 10″ Picture Disc (2000 copies) (features 2 unreleased remixes by MNEK and Icarus of Of The Night and Oblivion (Live From Capital Studios)
• Bat for Lashes Gardens Heart 7″
• Betty Who–Heartbreak Dream b/w Somebody Loves You (Acoustic Version) 7″ (White Vinyl, 700 copies)
• Chvrches Recover EP 12″ Bootleg Sleeve, hand numbered and stamped on orange vinyl (2500 copies)
• Coldplay Magic b/w Midnight 7″
• Cut Copy In These Arms of Love b/w Like Any Other Day 10″ (2000 copies)
• Disclosure Apollo 12″ (2500 copies)
• Fenech-Soler Fenech-Soler Remixed LP (500 copies)
• Ferreira, Sky Night Time, My Time Explicit Picture Disc LP (800 copies)
• Haim Forever 12″ (features exclusive remix by Giorgio Moroder) (4000 copies)
• LCD Soundsystem Long Goodbye Live at MSG (5LP box—3000 copies)
• You’d have expected something from Lorde here wouldn’t you? But there isn’t anything
• Mancini, Henry The Pink Panther (Muisc From the Film Score–50th Anniversary) (Pink Vinyl, 6000 copies)
• Metronomy Love Letters 12″ (features the original track, the exclusive Soulwax remix with an etched b-side)
• Minogue, Kylie Golden Boy 7″
• Neon Neon Years of Lead EP (500 copies)
• One Direction Midnight Memories 7″ Picture Disc (features Rock Me (live) as b-side)
• Parker Jr. , Ray Ghostbusters Theme (Glow in the Dark 10″ with original, instrumental, dance mix and dub versions) (2000 copies)
• Parton, Dolly Blue Smoke b/w Home (2 new tracks, blue vinyl, 3000 copies)
• Persson, Nina (Cardigans lead singer) Sometimes b/w This is Heavy Metal (demo) White Vinyl 7″
• Semi Precious Weapons Aviation LP (1000 copies on 180g vinyl + CD)
• Soundtrack The Muppet Movie (2500 copies)
• Soundtrack The Wizard of Oz: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Yellow vinyl, 3500 copies)
• VARIOUS ARTISTS Zang Tuum Tumb (ZTT): The Re-Organization of Pop (10×7″ box featuring Art of Noise, 808 State, FGTH, etc. 3 of the 7″s were never released on vinyl previously. 1000 copies, each numbered)
And that’s it. See you on eBay on April 20!