STOP EVERYTHING AND LOOK AT THIS.
It's… Well, on a practical level it's the artwork for the new PRETTYMUCH single, which is called Healthy. Unfortunately the song has no redeeming features whatsoever — the band's first single Would You Mind? found the right balance between 'throwback' and 'dated', but Healthy misses the mark and ends up in 3T album track territory.
But that doesn't matter because THE ARTWORK FOR THE SONG IS BASICALLY AND IN FACT QUITE LITERALLY A BANANA WITH THE BAND'S FACES ON IT.
This is a proper, major label boyband who seem to be actually trying to make a go of the whole pop thing. There has been no indication so far that they would do anything like this. And yet: banana.
As you can see, it's already causing quite a stir on social media.
lmaossk what’s with the banana
— al (@zioncara) March 15, 2018
I get the song is called “healthy” but why a banana ? 😂
— danivia ✨ (@GUCClARREAGA) March 15, 2018
why a banana tho ?
— 𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍 (@ANGELlCAVERY) March 15, 2018
why a banana
— jil (@snugglyaustin) March 15, 2018
BANANA IS MY FAVORITE FRUIT
— PRETTYESCRAVA III.XVIII.XVI 👑🇧🇷 (@PROUDBEANZ) March 15, 2018
So many other questions!
- Is the quality of the cutouts an attempt to visually represent the band's retro sound by referencing the days when everyone worked in MS Paint?
- Is the ransom note effect on the band's name a nod to the Sex Pistols and if so why?
- Is the banana a reference to Andy Warhol's work with The Velvet Underground?
- Do they know something we don't know about bananas replacing avocados as the 'fruit du jour'?
- Or is their choice of fruit just an attempt to get us thinking about cocks?
Actually it can't be about using food to conjure up cocks because if that had been the intention they would have gone for this.
Anyway it's the best pop artwork of the year so far so well done PRETTYMUCH.