Song of the week:
Iolite — ‘Sapphire’
We have very little to say about this other than that we think it’s really good and interesting, which does rather make us wonder whether ILY’s single should have been Song Of The Week instead, but we’ve done the image with the New Music Friday logo on it now and we’re not doing it again, so here we are.
Wrong of the week:
Michael Jackson — ‘Thriller’ (Steve Aoki Midnight Hour remix)
This shitmazing rework leans heavily on the shit but despite its awfulness does have a certain charm. WE WILL GIVE IT THAT. (Hervé and Plastic Little’s ‘Cheap Thrills’ is probably still the best ‘Thriller’-messing-around-with song to date, though.)
- AMANDA MAIR IS BACK WITH A BELTER.
- Much of Hurts‘ new album showcases an ‘interesting’ tropical direction. Best of luck to Hurts, we know it isn’t always easy. ‘Something I Need To Know’ is probably the best of the other tracks.
- ‘Your Love’, the new single from Swedish pop vocalist ‘extra’ ‘ordinaire’ ILY is a real treat, with some unusual sonic twists and turns and probably the best line of the week: “it’s not your first time, but it’s your first with me”. She’s over here on Facebook if you fancy keeping up with her movements; it’s worth investigating her other stuff on Spotters too.
- Please listen to the Betsy album, it’s strange and wonderful.
- Miley‘s album is good but following this tweet yesterday we will never, ever forgive Miley for calling this album anything other than ‘Twangerz’.
- Era Istrefi, who you will no doubt recall from ‘Bonbon’, is back with a French Montana ”””collab””” which sounds like Rihanna and is basically quite brilliant.
- To be quite honest we have no idea what PrettyMuch are playing at. Fingers crossed for the next single, right?