We went to Polydor yesterday to watch a video we're not really allowed to write about (spoiler alert: the singer gets thrown off a balcony) and while we were there we listened to — and took a photograph of — a new Benny Andersson Band song.
Like the recent 'Second Best To None' track it's a Bjorn Ulvaeus co-write, and it's female-vocaled (by Helen Sjoholm), and for this reason sounds JUST LIKE A BRAND NEW ABBA SONG.
Facts about this song:
1. It starts off as a ballad but then isn't. (Sound the 'Winner Takes It All' siren!)
2. When it hits its stride properly the song is a 104bpm singalong stomper with a euphoric (but very sad) chorus of "story of a heart a story all of it mine, and you took it from me every glorious line, I was safe and warm and now I’m out in the cold, and I know I shouldn’t have told my story". It's a proper big chorus.
3. There's a great line in the intro before it all kicks off — "I stand in a trance as I stand at the back of a bus, knowing there's no use denying, I can't stop thinking about us". And you start to think of the poor girl from 'Angel Eyes' who goes out for a nice walk along the river and ends up seeing her ex with his new love, and you think, can't this poor woman leave the house (at eight because she always does) without some horrific romance-related apocalypse blighting her day? Riversides, backs of buses — is nowhere safe? Poor old Abba lady. :(
4. The best lyrics — the proper best lyrics and in fact perhaps the most heartstoppingly devastatingly incredibly and perfect pop lyrics you will see/hear all year — come about two thirds of the way through, after the fireworks and excitement of the song's post-chorus, when the song hurtles into a sparse, piano-twinklingly epic middle eight: "never giving up I looked for you everywhere, time went by and sadness took the place of despair. In a way you'll stay with me til death do us part — like this shadow deep in my heart, forever".
5. It is hard to believe that we have just written about what is basically a new Abba song. Amazing.
'Story Of A Heart' is out on July 6. It's the title track on The Benny Andersson Band's first UK album (they're known as Benny Andersson's Orkester in Sweden), which is a compilation of the combo's first three albums plus this brand new tune. Very exciting.