Notes on this week's new releases:
- Lady Gaga releases her turbo-charged antiballad Stupid Love today and everyone on Twitter's doing a decent job of pretending they didn't open their Christmas presents early. As previously stated: decent song by decent popstar. She shot the video on a phone.
- Charlotte OC's going The Full Stevie on Freedom and there's nothing wrong with a bit of that.
- Good new one from superstar-in-the-making Evie Irie, well done everybody.
- Camden Cox's turn on the new Joe Stone one: perky.
- Daisy Gray's Don't Cry is pretty special. There was an interesting post on her Instagram when her version of Wicked Game was featured on Love Island: she wrote that in 48 hours the exposure led to "25,000 Shazam streams, 400 purchases, and 9000 plays on Spotify". So if you're wondering about the direct impact of a Love Island sync, that's it.
- John Newman's Brother's Eurovision song is the best UK entry in a while and comes in at just 2:35 — they could have probably got it down to 2:30 without the gimmicky gaps before every 'breath' which sound a bit like that thing you sometimes have to do when you're in the middle of a sentence, feel a burp coming and have to swallow it before you carry on talking.