The Song Of The Week is Someone New by Astrid S.
Astrid's new single — written with Charli XCX and Noonie Bao — was covered in some detail yesterday, and turns out to also be this week's best new release. There's so much confidence in the song's understated delivery, no more so than in the final moments of the middle eight, where for a moment everything completely stops.
- No idea who Peachy Pavement are (this artist is involved) but Calling You is very promising indeed. Another song, Machine, is also out today.
- There's a reward of sorts for anyone who makes it to the end credits of Netflix's Jonas Åkerlund-directed shitfest Polar — a great collaboration between deadmau5 (who scored the entire film) and Lights.
- Busted's Shipwrecked In Atlantis is billed as a continuation of the band's olden days song Air Hostess. Does a plane crash count as a shipwreck? And even if it does, considering Atlantis is submerged, does living there count as being shipwrecked? Perhaps in the future everyone really does live underwater, making this a continuation of two different Busted songs at once.
- A companion piece to Busted's Shipwrecked… is Kella's sparky Trainwreck.
- This week's New Music Friday selection threw up a song from cousn and a song from grandson, neither of which made the PJ playlist because they're not very good, but I suppose it's all relative.
- A little joke for you there ladies and gentlemen.
- This week also, cheerily, supplies the world with two different songs called When I Die. The better of the two, by ALMA, makes the playlist. It's a Justin Tranter cowrite.