In this week's new releases, or at least the ones that have popped up on Spotify:
- Dagny's 'Ultraviolet' EP is out today — it includes 'Backbeat' and 'Fools Gold' (ie two total triumphs) plus a song literally called 'Ultraviolet' but our favourite is millennial anxiety anthem 'Too Young'.
- Future/current pop titan Zara Larsson's released a song that would have worked well on the album we thought Rihanna might have made. They've gone down the anti-chorus route with this one but don't panic, there are some big choruses on the album.
- Sylvan Esso's new single is very exciting, well done Sylvan Esso.
- Youngr's 'Out Of My System' was knocking around earlier this year but it seems to have reappeared as a new release so let's give it another go on the New Music Friday playlist because it is, let's be honest here, extremely good.
- AlunaGeorge's 'Mediator' is a good song with boring production.
- For some reason this week has thrown up a (rather great) cover of The Cars' seminal pensivebanger 'Drive'. Myzica are partly responsible — they've also done a brilliant cover of Kiss' 'I Was Made For Lovin' You' and some of their other stuff (like 'Ready Or Not') wouldn't sound out of place on a Carly Rae Jepsen album, so that's nice.
- Pitbull's entry on this week's playlist would be better if it had been based on this.
We didn't include 'Nick Cave', apols.