In this week’s new releases, or at least the ones that have popped up on Spotify, ie sorry Frank:
- Norwegian singer Frøder‘s ‘Dopamine’ is all sharp edges and massive choruses and exists in the very agreeable middle ground between Tove Lo and Robyn. Her debut album’s out today and you can follow her on Twitter here. ‘Dopamine’ is really good. Imagine if Mollie King had released this!
- Kloe‘s ‘Liability’ makes an excellent ‘companion piece’ to ‘UDSM’, but works well in its own right too. Imagine if Mollie King had released this!
- Petite Meller‘s ‘The Flute’ is, as we have come to expect from Mello, absolutely off its tits and totally amazing. Imagine if Mollie King had released this!
- Black Coast and Soren Bryce‘s ‘Sleep Alone’ is a spacious ‘n’ pensive electronic pop semi-banger. Imagine if Mollie King had released this!
- Lyon‘s ‘Bodytalk’ is 50% angular, 50% melodic, and gets a big thumbs up. Imagine if Mollie King had released this!
- Ohlayindigo‘s song contains the line “like moon and stars we are invisible in the day” which is scientifically inaccurate but ‘Nocturnal Love’ is very pleasant anyway. Imagine if Mollie King had released this!
- Mollie King has released the very pleasant ‘Back To You’. Imagine if Britney Spears had released this!
- Britney Spears has released ‘Do You Wanna Come Over?’ which goes quite well until the chorus.
- Say Lou Lou have covered ‘Stayin’ Alive’ which works rather well — something of a surprise although not that much of a surprise when you consider Say Lou Lou are involved.
- Ellie Goulding‘s song from the new Bridget Jones soundtrack sounds almost exactly how you’d expect an Ellie Goulding song from the new Bridget Jones soundtrack to sound, ie it’s a high quality solid pop tune.
- Two of Alphabeat have reappeared as Thanks.
- Incredible, isn’t it, how dated and unnecessary the Tough Love and Karen Harding song sounds in August 2016. Production aside, it’s a pretty poor song.
- The Swet Shop Boys song includes the line “got to take a shit”. To be honest we’re only including it because the band name is quite good.
- There’s a rap on the new Michael Bublé song. :(
- Shawn Mendes is still going.
We didn’t include the new song by ‘Passenger’, apols.