So we got a text message the other night.
"The best pop album of the year is the Muse album. Unbelievable."
While we were trying to watch the Moors murders thing on our Sky+, Michael from Popjustice HQ was at some sort of 'listening party' for the new Muse LP. After a few minutes, another text message arrived.
"It is not an indie/rock album in any sense. It's like 'Ray Of Light' done by Goldfrapp. AMAZING."
And then another:
"Have chandalier photos. Am quite drunk becuase the food was a bit scarce."
Michael has now sobered up and offers the following.
Ten reasons Muse are the best new boyband of 2006
* There are three of them — just like Point Break and EYC.
* They are boys — just like Take That, 911 and the Pussycat Dolls.
* They aren't completely dreadful to look at.
* Their new album is a massive electronic pop 'extravaganza' due to the fact that Muse have clearly listened to nothing but Queen, Goldfrapp and Phixx for the past three years.
* Oddly, this means that Muse now sound a bit like The Honeytraps.
* One song sounds like Madonna's 'Ray of Light'.
* The album seems to have been inspired by Old El Paso dinner kits. There is a definite whiff of burrito on the second half of the album.
* 'Supermassive Black Hole' sounds a lot like Britney's 'Do Somethin'. Britney is not a boyband but you get the general idea.
* Most of the songs could be played at a disco, and particularly the disco known as Club Popjustice — every Friday in London town, 11–3, Â£3 on the d… (Get on with it — Ed)
* One song sounds a bit like the Shapeshifters, but not the one with the video at the fairground — the rubbish one they did recently. A good version of that. Perhaps the word 'Balearic' should be used now. Not so much a change in direction as a sudden swerve across all four lanes on the motorway. (PS Can Lamemza have a crack at this one?)
* I did get a Muse pencil (it was orange) but that must have fallen out of my bag somewhere on the way home.
* The last song has a horse on it.
* A HORSE.
Let's not forget this.
Story posted May 18 2006 :: Link :: Mail to friend :: Email usEmail us :: Discuss