Notes on this week's new releases:
- Lady Gaga's Chromatica album should have been out today but, as we know, it's been pushed back to later in the year. Earlier this week I was thinking Gaga might have had a change of heart, having realised that All This wasn't going to be sorted out anytime soon and that the world would still be a shitshow later in the year. So I wondered if she might just have thrown it out today As A Treat, making it the first surprise album drop to take place on an album's actual scheduled release date. Sadly it was not to be.
- Meanwhile Charli XCX, who as we all surely know is the future of pop, has released Forever, the first track from her lockdown album.
- If there's any collaboration this week that justifies a shoddily Photoshopped image signifying Song Of The Week status it's Purple Disco Machine and Sophie and the Giants: Hypnotized is a huge belter. It doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel but wheels are really good, aren't they?
- Norwegian singer, songwriter, producer and all-round superstar-in-the-making Moyka's new one is the lead track from the best EP I've heard in a very long time. I had a nice chat on the phone with Moyka earlier this week and that'll be on the site in some form in the coming days, but for the time being have a listen to the turbo-charged pop amazingness of Spaces.
- Austel, a specialist in luxurious and smartly understated pop, has a Grass Temple (?) remix out today. It sounded quite good at 9:15 this morning with the window open.