Katy B performed her new single 'Crying For No Reason' on Graham Norton's BBC1 show last night.
It's the best chatshow-based single performance we've seen in years, helped of course by the fact that the single is tremendous in absolutely every respect. We fell quite a lot in love with the song when Katy performed it in a stripped-back fashion on Radio 1 last October but the full-on single version is perfect.
Amazing things about this performance include:
- There's a live band on stage but the song's delicate electronic production isn't demolished by eg an 'actual live drummer'.
- Katy B moves just enough but not too much. It is all in the hands.
- There is emotion on her face but she's not going 'the full Cornish'.
- There is emotion in her voice but she's not going 'the full Cornish'.
- The lighting is great and we particularly like the bits when the lights go blue.
- What beautiful hair.
- Did we mention the fact that the song is perfect?
Here's the performance.
(If it's fallen off YouTube by the time you see this you've got six days to watch it on iPlayer - Katy's at about 36:30.)