The salient points
- You may have seen this or perhaps read a few articles about it. Basically, it's a singing competition and the winner gets a record deal but not always for very long.
- It's not a popstar, we know, so it shouldn't really be in our 'Popstars' section, but until we get the classification business sorted out it'll stay here IF THAT'S ALRIGHT WITH YOU.
- It's the brainchild of a certain Simon Cowell, though it was not a million miles away from Pop Idol which preceded it and was ended in the UK by Michelle McManus.
- Leona Lewis is the best winner, while Matt Cardle is clearly the worst.
- The early stages of the show focus mainly on people that can't sing but think they can. A lot of that bit is genuinely "LOL". For example.
- In many ways the judges are the real stars and the show has helped Cheryl Cole briefly become the nation's sweetheart and Dannii Minogue land a Marks & Sparks ad campaign.
- It has also given Louis Walsh a platform to develop strange catchphrases like "you're like a little Lenny Henry".
- A US version of the show was launched in September 2011. It didn't do as well as expected but still did quite well. It was the Alexandra Burke of format launches.