Login To Popjustice

If this is your first visit to the 'new' Popjustice, and you had an account on the old site, click here to request a new password.

Username:
Password:

Forgot your password? | Register

*You should probably at least attempt to remember your password, though.

Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1754
    Edsel have posted today that they can categorically confirm all the Bananarama reissue material, absolutely every last track, has been sourced from master tapes. Obviously, quite to pick up on the last 24 hours worth of comments! Excellent news.

I thought the Hotline/Hot Line To Heaven 7" master was destroyed in a fire? Excellent news nonethless!

Originally Posted by idratherjack View Post
    I thought the Hotline/Hot Line To Heaven 7" master was destroyed in a fire? Excellent news nonethless!
    That's apparently why we've never had it before... But by the sounds if it, it's quite possibly the US Album Edit that was damaged in a fire, which is why it sounds wobbly in the middle? I don't really know! Just pleased we'll get it finally.

Great news!

I was a bit wary of getting these when they were first announced, but I can't wait now!

Originally Posted by anfunny2003 View Post
    I think Into The Skyline is crap. The most interesting thing about it was the PM Dawn remix of Falling (sublime) and the free Move To This: The Remixes CD.
    You Lied To Me, Why, Moments of Love and Irresistible are all great, and I agree with you on the single mix of Falling. The rest of the album is a bit of one long chore though, although I don't dislike Everybody Get Up, even if it is a mere retread of the previous album's better songs.
    "Black, white, straight, gay....what's the difference? We all finish ourselves off in the end anyway".

Not meaning to be a grump, and I'm not one because I can see how the topic got to a discussion about Shep Pettibone and then onto Cathy Dennis,...but can we move on from mentions of Cathy in this thread? She has absolutely nothing to do with the Banana's... I like Cathy though, but unless she is making a surprise appearance on the re-issued Pop Life album, wearing one of those cat-suits she was quite fond of, then I'm afraid she is probably best kept to her own specific thread.

SockMonkey
    That was why I bumped Cathy's thread the other day. Going off topic happens a lot even if we try to control it - you'd better get used to it!

Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
    That was why I bumped Cathy's thread the other day. Going off topic happens a lot even if we try to control it - you'd better get used to it!
    Speaking of topics. Do they still make 'Topic'??? The chocolate bar?? Darn it! Now I've gone orf topic!

SockMonkey
    Yes, they do, but they don't have bananas in them.

I find it quite interesting that some people consider 'Pop-Life' as their edgy or experimental album. When I listen to True Confessions, I don't think it's an full of singles. With the exception of 'Venus', the other songs aren't obvious singles. I prefer 'True Confessions' to 'Pop-Life'. I think it's a better produced album.

Wish I understood Amazon's pricing. The re-issues are now varying between 10.55-60 on Amazon. It's still not comparable to Sainsbury's 8.99.... And why is each album priced differently?!! Bizarre.

True Confessions > Pop Life > Bananarama > Wow! > Deep Sea Skiving > Please Yourself

Originally Posted by TeddyPoppins View Post
    I find it quite interesting that some people consider 'Pop-Life' as their edgy or experimental album. When I listen to True Confessions, I don't think it's an full of singles. With the exception of 'Venus', the other songs aren't obvious singles. I prefer 'True Confessions' to 'Pop-Life'. I think it's a better produced album.
    I think people consider it more of a rebirth of the original 'Rams philosophy rather than experimental per se. After the SAW days it was a bit different. True Confessions probably doesn't get the credit it deserves as there was gradual meandering to that sound over the course of three albums. The melancholia of it is clearly audible in some of the tracks on the previous album, whereas Pop Life following Wow and The Greatest Hits was quite a contrast.
    "Black, white, straight, gay....what's the difference? We all finish ourselves off in the end anyway".

True Confessions suffered from having unrepresentative singles, one a forgotten 1985 flop, and one a different version to the 7" which people would have heard on the radio.Plus it was released in the middle of summer, a traditional graveyard slot for albums.
    Eric's Generic World: http://ericsgenericworld.blogspot.com/

They did very little promo for True Confessions... look at Venus, which should've been their first UK number one. They only did it once on TOTP and that was about it? Maybe a Saturday morning kids show, too - memory hazy! But it took off massively in the USA and they spent way too long over there... I perhaps like it all the more for the fact it's the neglected little black sheep, almost.

When I gave all the Rhino reissues a spin again last year, I found True Confessions the most enjoyable overall.
    Eric's Generic World: http://ericsgenericworld.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Eric Generic View Post
    When I gave all the Rhino reissues a spin again last year, I found True Confessions the most enjoyable overall.
    Yes, it has a lot of diversity and the production is solid. It gets some criticism for having less hits on it, but hit singles never equal a good album. Often the opposite!

Originally Posted by anfunny2003 View Post
    Yes, it has a lot of diversity and the production is solid. It gets some criticism for having less hits on it, but hit singles never equal a good album. Often the opposite!
    I agree.

I think Pop Life has a little more variety, and on True Confessions I feel they had gone as far as they could with Jolley & Swain.

I loved 'Pop Life', it did seem to recapture something of the old Nana's that had been over processed during the 'Wow' album.

I had a lot of love for Youth/ Martin Glover/ Killing Joke, after an interview he did around that time in 'Q' Magazine and his production on former girlfriend Zoe's 'Sunshine On A Rainy Day', Maria McKee's 'Sweetest Child' (and possibly) Naomi Campbell's 'Love & Tears', a while later.

I really thought it was a foregone conclusion that he would still be around for the follow up to 'Pop Life'. Something did feel very wrong & contrived about 'Please Yourself'.

Ian Masterson's production touches do give a wink to S/A/W, with a modern (almost Goldfrapp edge) to tracks like 'Waterfall' but I would have liked the Xenomania session that produced 'Middle of Nowhere' to have led to a fuller body of work but then again, I do love Dannii's 'Heaven Can Wait' as it produces such strong memories of 'Issey Miyake' Cologne and summer '97 and that would have turned to something else, if Bananarama had made full use of it in that era.
    Last edited by Lady Agnes Holland; September 05, 2013 at 23:27.

Originally Posted by TeddyPoppins View Post
    Everyone has different preferences and I think we'd all be pretty dull if we had the same favorite album of the Nanas.

For me personally, I always find True Confessions a bit boring. Dance With a Stranger always puts me to sleep. Having said that, I quite like some of the album tracks like Promised Land and A Cut Above The Rest.

I much prefer Pop Life because the Nanas got funky and the harmonies are top notch. Vocally, they never sounded better. With Pop Life there was a little something for everyone: Pop, Rock, Trance, Reggae, Flamenco and Funk.

Anyone ever do that thing where you pull your headphones plug in and out of the socket a bit and it alters the music? If you know what I'm talking about, try it with Only Your Love, if you get it on the right spot you can hear a mostly vocal version.

Personally I love True Confessions, Wow and Pop Life equally. I consider it almost a trilogy. I love them for different reasons but I do think the vocal arrangements on Pop Life are quite strong.

Wow I had no idea about these reissues! Now I feel a bit silly for spending the time and money I did collecting all the Rhino reissues (except Bananarama, which I never could manage to care enough about to spend 4+shipping on it). Not actually sure if I'll bother with these, since I've found I don't really listen to 12" mixes when I've got 7" or album mixes, and I rarely watch music videos, but I'm really excited to get a remaster of the album version of "Strike It Rich," if nothing else.

Wow! has always been my favorite by far. I'm not big on Deep Sea Skiving either, and the others all have their moments, but I don't enjoy them the way I do Wow! (or Exotica, Drama, or Viva, for that matter).

Originally Posted by davearama View Post
    Everyone has different preferences and I think we'd all be pretty dull if we had the same favorite album of the Nanas.

For me personally, I always find True Coalnfessions a bit boring.
    It's my least favorite rams album, I find it extremely dull, even a image of Rita and Sue (Rita ,Sue And Bob Too) dancing to 'More Than Physical' cannot lift me when I listen to this album. The trouble is I have attempted to review the album every few years since it's release and my opinion has never changed over time. Even the singles from it were weak compared to the previous batch from 'Bananarama'. Like I said before, a total mess of an album.

It's funny how years later 'Preacher man' has become my favorite single from 'Pop life' I never appreciated it at the time it was always about 'Only Your Love' for me. I think you can definitely put a era/date on 'Only Your Love' just like Siouxsie's 'Kiss Them For Me'..... it's that 'Baggy' early 90's sound.