Login To Popjustice

If this is your first visit to the 'new' Popjustice, and you had an account on the old site, click here to request a new password.

Username:
Password:

Forgot your password? | Register

*You should probably at least attempt to remember your password, though.

Any Maggie Reilly fans on these boards?

I fell in love with Maggie's beautiful vocals when she first collaborated with Mike Oldfield on 'Moonlight Shadow' in 1983.

Maggie finally released her debut album 'Echoes' in the early 90's......It got to #1 in the Norwegian charts and the single 'Everytime We Touch' did very well in Europe. The follow up singles did not do so well .'Wait' and 'Tears In The Rain' are both beautiful pieces of pop and so deserved to be big worldwide hits

I'm totally amazed that this classy vocalist has had very little recognition here in the Uk.
    Last edited by Pye; August 28, 2013 at 11:05.

Some people might recognize this track because Cascada used the chorus a few years back

vasilios
    This was the biggest selling album in Greece that year.

It's really funny you should mention that Vas because during the 90's I would often hear Maggie's songs played when I visited Greece! It didn't matter whether it was in a bar or simply sat in a tax, I'd often hear one of her tracks!

I still don't get why as a British native (Scotland) she didn't have the success she had in the rest of Europe. It seems others noticed the beauty of her vocals and a great pop tune! Maybe she just didn't think it was worth doing much promotion in the UK?

I always hoped she'd work with some of the big names in the Dance music industry like Oakenfold....Imagine her singing 'Southern Sun'!

She's a cool lady and the Brits don't realize how lucky they are to have her. If you look at any youtube threads she gets lots of hits but the comments are generally from other Europeans and not the Brits.... a shame really.

Another gorgeous track from 'Echoes'....
    Waiting

vasilios
    See also Sarah Jayne Morris. HUGE in Greece in the same period, nobody in the UK.

She's an amazing vocalist but never followed what she did after her stint with The Communards! I did see her perform with them when they toured in 1986! Since you mentioned her I have looked her up on youtube!

I love her collaborations with Mike Oldfield (and I love how I just found out she's doing backing vocals for Sisters Of Mercy, talk about randomness) but Echoes was extremely saccharine. The only thing that didn't make me feel like I am drowning in syrup was Everytime We Touch. Curious about the new album but not too curious if you know what I mean.
    "I will continue to post whatever the fuck I want about Top 50 recording artists MKS" - superglowy

Maggie's new single 'Juliette' was released in the UK this week. I'm surprised it hasn't been play listed on Radio 2

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a official video for the track (as yet)

Here is the video for her gorgeous 1993 single 'Midnight Sun' from her follow up album 'Midnight Sun'

What the funk -- the Dutch iTunes has Juliette but more importantly it also has a previous "new single" by Maggie Reilly called, you'll be surprised, Moonlight Shadow. It was released on August 27 by a label called Wild Heart. Three mixes of Moonlight Shadow feature. Wild Heart also released Juliette.

Maggie's voice just doesn't change. What a great singer.
    "I will continue to post whatever the fuck I want about Top 50 recording artists MKS" - superglowy

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    What the funk -- the Dutch iTunes has Juliette but more importantly it also has a previous "new single" by Maggie Reilly called, you'll be surprised, Moonlight Shadow. It was released on August 27 by a label called Wild Heart. Three mixes of Moonlight Shadow feature. Wild Heart also released Juliette.
    Yeah I read on Wild Heart's facebook page that there was going to be a dance remix of 'Moonlight Shadow' released on 4th October in a few European countries.

Wow the track is 30 years old this year, I still would love to hear Hazel OConnor's demo version of the song.

I downloaded 'Juliette' it's a typical easy listening soft rock/ pop affair..... almost Debbie Harry/ Blondie-ish.