Login To Popjustice

If this is your first visit to the 'new' Popjustice, and you had an account on the old site, click here to request a new password.

Username:
Password:

Forgot your password? | Register

*You should probably at least attempt to remember your password, though.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    I've never loved Queen, but do recognise what a great talent Freddie Mercury was. Great songs, just not my cup of tea.

The A Kind Of Magic album brings back great memories for me.

14. CULTURE CLUB (3,986,000)

TOTAL HITS: 10
    BEST YEAR: 1983
    BEST SELLER: KARMA CHAMELEON (1,386,000)

There is little doubting the visual impact of a character like Boy George when he was first on TOTP, a talking point in school teh day after and one that helped to sell records. Culture Club went on to top the US charts (quite an achievement in the conservative Reaganite 80s) and enjoyed 2 years in the UK when they could do little wrong.

13. PHIL COLLINS (4,128,000)

TOTAL HITS: 16
    BEST YEAR: 1985
    BEST SELLER: YOU CANíT HURRY LOVE (650,000)

In the end Collins easily outpaces his Genesis total by over 2 million singles. He made the top on three occasions during the 80s and held down, effectively, two simultaneous careers on an international level. On top of all this he even managed to star in ďBusterĒ and do a soundtrack, an admirable work rate even if you arenít a fan of the music itself.

Phil Collins is wonderful. I love Genesis and his solo work. So many great hits to choose from.

Culture Club are such an iconic 80s band. I love the soul in Boy George's voice. Some of the later hits weren't as good.

Originally Posted by gezza76 View Post
    14. CULTURE CLUB (3,986,000)

This really pleases me. I knew they'd be quite high but this is a better result than I was expecting. Sometimes when you're a really big fan of an act it's hard to see them in the proper perspective, but you can't really argue with 4m single sales with 10 records can you? I wonder who has the best average sales (Other than Band Aid of course and I suspect Kylie would be right up there).

'Time (Clock Of The Heart)' is of course a masterpiece.

He's about this thin again now and looking great.
    Last edited by Baby Clyde; February 24, 2013 at 20:49.
    Check you lipstick before you come and talk to me.............. Let's go Zi Lin!!!

All the artists cropping up now are beyond criticism for me, really.

Queen's catalogue has been Abba-fied through over-exposure and slightly distorted through revisionism (though in some ways it doesn't hurt to see lesser tracks at the time become more well-known...ie Don't Stop Me Now, We Are The Champions). I've defended Phil Collins on PJ plenty of times already, haha.

Culture Club could do no wrong from late 1982 to early 1984. It's one of the great eras for any pop act.
    Eric's Generic World: http://ericsgenericworld.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Eric Generic View Post

Culture Club could do no wrong from late 1982 to early 1984. It's one of the great eras for any pop act.
    I'm biased but i was going to say the same thing

What a flawless run of singles from Do You Really Want to Hurt Me to It's A Miracle. We'll ignore The War and Medal Song but Move Away and God Thank You Woman are AMAZING

Yeah, I thought the 1986 material would signal a mega comeback and return to imperious chart form.

I LOVE From Luxury To Heartache

It's a FACT that 'From Luxury To Heartache' is a fabulous record that have been a huge hit had they hadn't taken 18 months off and been falling apart at the time.

I also don't think 'God Thank You Woman' was a good 2nd single. They needed something more immediate. I'd have gone with 'I Pray' or 'Gusto Blusto', with 'Heaven's Children' third.
    Check you lipstick before you come and talk to me.............. Let's go Zi Lin!!!

Phil Collins is a bit of a tricky one for me. The fact that he wrote and performed some pretty decent songs (in the 80s) is outweighed by the fact that he is a bit of a dipstick.

Why does everyone hate Phil Collins? There are lots of unlikeable popstars but he seems to be universally despised.

I don't really care if a popstar is likeable myself. I remember when I was little thinking Madonna would probably be a total bitch if I ever met her and I've never really liked her as a person. I still think she's the ultimate popstar regardless.

As David Hepworth said on the BBC4 "Album Showdown" series, someone like Paul Simon is a classic case of a star that nobody really likes as a person, or wants to be. Phil Collins falls into the same category I suppose.

12. PAUL MCCARTNEY (4,194,000)

TOTAL HITS: 20
    BEST YEAR: 1984
    BEST SELLER: EBONY AND IVORY (698,000)

So itís McCartney that ends the 80s as the best performing former Beatle, dumping Wings conveniently for the beginning of the decade before hooking with Stevie Wonder, S/A/W and even a bunch of Frogs to gain more sales as the decade progressed. The cost? Well maybe some credibility.

11. DURAN DURAN (4,289,000)

TOTAL HITS: 20
    BEST YEAR: 1984
    BEST SELLER: IS THERE SOMETHING I SHOULD KNOW (505,000)

Ah Duran Duran, is there any other group that epitomises the 80s more than this band? One of the first pioneers of the eye catching, exotic, music promo aimed squarely at the MTV generation, the group became equally big stateside generating No 1 singles on both sides of the Atlantic and inspiring a devotional fanbase.

Macca got back a lot of credibility with 1989's Flowers in the Dirt album, and the presence of Elvis Costello as co-writer. It was much needed, as 1984-1986 was probably his lowest point commercially/artistically since the very early days of Wings (Mary Had A Little Lamb, Give Ireland Back To The Irish, the Wild Life album). 1987's All The Best! also helped, containing his best solo stuff and a decent new song Once Upon A Long Ago. In 1989, he was quite cool again.

As for Duran, over to you phoenix123! Hehe.

Originally Posted by gezza76 View Post
    11. DURAN DURAN (4,289,000)

Who on earth is that black man???

The drummer, post Roger.

Not exactly the classic lineup. HA!!!

Haha no. I'd say that shot was 1988-1989.

I hadn't even noticed him ha ha. weren't they a trio by 1988?

I don't know them well enough to notice lineup changes. I know they had some kind of split into two comparatively unsuccessful groups with odd names like Power Station? They were certainly a trio by the 1989 videos! The 89 "comeback" was a bit uneventful. I remember not paying much attention to it as they were a bit like a second rate INXS at the time.

I'm so glad my favourite Duran song is their biggest seller.

Amazing that Wham! has beaten all these classic 80s bands with so few records.

Originally Posted by phoenix123 View Post
    Why does everyone hate Phil Collins? There are lots of unlikeable popstars but he seems to be universally despised.

I don't really care if a popstar is likeable myself. I remember when I was little thinking Madonna would probably be a total bitch if I ever met her and I've never really liked her as a person. I still think she's the ultimate popstar regardless.
    On of my favourite rock stars is Jerry Lee Lewis... who is possibly one of the least likeable people to have ever sung or played a note.

I think with old Buster is that he's unlikeable, uncool and not particularly attractive.