Login To Popjustice

If this is your first visit to the 'new' Popjustice, and you had an account on the old site, click here to request a new password.

Username:
Password:

Forgot your password? | Register

*You should probably at least attempt to remember your password, though.

Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
Results 726 to 750 of 1759
  1. #726
    SockMonkey
    Guest
    Have been listening to the album all week. The more I listen, the more it's sounding like a female-fronted Hurts album, which could explain why I like it so much.

    I know the Calvin Harris track is pretty low-rent but I do like it. After the relative seriousness and intensity of the rest of the album, I sort of see I Need Your Love as the point at which Ellie says "Phew, time to relax and have a dance now." and the next few bonus tracks on the deluxe feel a bit like that too. It's like a deliberate shift in tone, which works for me.

    I like how the album has very subtle dance influences - even down to the squeaky vocals in Only You, a common thing in dubstep.

    I need to buy Bright Lights now. I'm not familiar with ANY of the previous singles bar Your Song - how similar is the album to Halcyon? I know I could just listen to samples, but I'm interested how fans compare the two.
    Last edited by SockMonkey; October 12, 2012 at 13:19.

  2. #727
    'Halcyon' and 'I Know You Care' are the best things on here for me.
    I love freaks, I don't care if you're a wild one. [instagram]

  3. #728
    Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
    I need to buy Bright Lights now. I'm not familiar with ANY of the previous singles bar Your Song - how similar is the album to Halcyon? I know I could just listen to samples, but I'm interested how fans compare the two.
    They're really very different albums. 'Anything Could Happen' aside, Halcyon sounds like it was made by a completely different artist to the one who made Lights, I think.

  4. #729
    Yeah very different.

    She got it right when she said that 'Bright Lights' was just a collection of songs she'd written since she had started up - and as an album it very much feels like that. It's a fantastic album because the songs on it are fantastic but it doesn't feel as much as an album as this one. It can feel a bit disjointed in places, but that's only because this one feels so cohesive and fluid.

    Definitely buy it though, it still ranks as one of my favourite albums ever. She's just a brilliant artist.
    I'm about to drown in the ocean.

  5. #730
    Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post

    I need to buy Bright Lights now. I'm not familiar with ANY of the previous singles bar Your Song - how similar is the album to Halcyon? I know I could just listen to samples, but I'm interested how fans compare the two.
    Bright Lights is almost like the light side to Halcyon's dark. Ellie never gets too heavy on the former, which I find to be a very ethereal listen. Listening to Bright Lights is sort of like seeing billions of colors refracting, while Halcyon is like seeing one glimmer of light while trapped in the darkness. Brights Lights is young without being juvenile and vibrant without being necessarily optimistic. Halcyon is very jaded. I hope that helps.
    When I was drowning, that was when I could finally breathe. Tumblr. Twitter.

  6. #731
    SockMonkey
    Guest
    Ooh, well put. I shall purchase soon.

  7. #732
    I still haven't listened to this! Damn the post! Get my copy here faster! All of your descriptions are making my mouth water. This could end up with Electra Heart as one of my albums of the year, for sure.
    "Even though you dance like Taylor Swift after a red bull" - Knifer
    http://instagram.com/drewhnovak

  8. #733
    The bits in "Only You" between 1:27 and 1:47 / 2:49 and 3:27 remind me of Grimes at her best, which is a very good thing.

  9. #734
    The NME review of this is hilarious, they make it sound as if she's singing Starships x 11

  10. #735
    Originally Posted by HYSTERIA View Post
    The NME review of this is hilarious, they make it sound as if she's singing Starships x 11
    Is it because she isn't a pseudo-indie band? Wait, a minute.

    Quirky-as-usual vocals lazily spliced into factory-standard chart dance
    BYE.

    They didn't even listen to it. They couldn't have.

  11. #736
    It keeps getting better... It's beginning to rank up there for album of the year.

    I don't like albums that have to grow on me, though. I mean clearly I've been interested in it at the beginning, but I can't help but feel like something's missing if it takes a while to grow on me.

  12. #737
    Originally Posted by Andrwk View Post
    It keeps getting better... It's beginning to rank up there for album of the year.

    I don't like albums that have to grow on me, though. I mean clearly I've been interested in it at the beginning, but I can't help but feel like something's missing if it takes a while to grow on me.
    I'm speaking more generally here, as I haven't heard Halcyon yet, but I find the albums that grow on you have the longest shelf-life! Songs that are too instant tend to wear out their welcome fairly quickly. When an album exposes its intricacies over time, and you get to know it like you would a good friend or lover: that's heaven, amigo.
    "Even though you dance like Taylor Swift after a red bull" - Knifer
    http://instagram.com/drewhnovak

  13. #738
    Originally Posted by clockworknovak View Post
    I'm speaking more generally here, as I haven't heard Halcyon yet, but I find the albums that grow on you have the longest shelf-life! Songs that are too instant tend to wear out their welcome fairly quickly. When an album exposes its intricacies over time, and you get to know it like you would a good friend or lover: that's heaven, amigo.
    That's so deep.

    It's true, I suppose. I guess I just like the instant gratification of hearing an album and loving it right away.

  14. #739
    JOY is my favourite factory-standard chart dance song.

  15. #740
    Dead in the Water is my go to generic pussy popping anthem.

  16. #741
    Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
    Ooh, well put. I shall purchase soon.
    Buy it all as it'll be dirt cheap, but the only songs you really need are Guns + Horses, Under The Sheets, Starry Eyed and the rerelease tracks (Home and Animal are out of this fucking world). And maybe The Writer. The rest is largely vacuous.
    Sixty-nine is the only dinner for two.

  17. #742
    This Love (Will Be Your Downfall) is still the greatest thing she's recorded.
    Born to run, get ahead of the rest.

  18. #743
    Originally Posted by KamikazeHeart View Post
    This Love (Will Be Your Downfall) is still the greatest thing she's recorded.
    This is definitely the best song on Bright Lights, followed very closely by 'Human', 'Under the Sheets', 'Wish I Stayed', and 'Your Biggest Mistake'.
    "Even though you dance like Taylor Swift after a red bull" - Knifer
    http://instagram.com/drewhnovak

  19. #744
    Originally Posted by KamikazeHeart View Post
    This Love (Will Be Your Downfall) is still the greatest thing she's recorded.
    It's up there for me, top five. I'd say the necessary tracks are:

    This Love
    Under the Sheets
    Wish I Stayed
    I'll Hold My Breath
    Your Biggest Mistake
    When I was drowning, that was when I could finally breathe. Tumblr. Twitter.

  20. #745
    Originally Posted by Alphableat View Post
    Buy it all as it'll be dirt cheap, but the only songs you really need are Guns + Horses, Under The Sheets, Starry Eyed and the rerelease tracks (Home and Animal are out of this fucking world). And maybe The Writer. The rest is largely vacuous.
    I largely agree with that. There are a couple of other decent songs on the standard edition but it is very samey. Also, sockmonkey, the rerelease tracks are by far the most similar to Halcyon (the uptempo stuff, anyway).

  21. #746
    I'll Hold My Breath is hands down the best song on Bright Lights. It baffles me that it gets very little recognition on here! SO euphoric. I could listen to that one track all day.
    Let's raise hell in the streets drink beer and get into trouble..heavy metal lovaa!

  22. #747
    Originally Posted by jk-ennedy View Post
    I'll Hold My Breath is hands down the best song on Bright Lights. It baffles me that it gets very little recognition on here! SO euphoric. I could listen to that one track all day.
    Props need to be given to the original version "Swimming Pool".

  23. #748
    'I'll Hold My Breath' is just a hair too twee to be one of my favorites. It goes along with 'The Writer' and 'Believe Me' as my least favorite tracks. Still great, just not as mind-blowing.

    Well, 'Your Song' is my least favorite, hands down. That doesn't even count though, as it's not even Ellie's song.
    "Even though you dance like Taylor Swift after a red bull" - Knifer
    http://instagram.com/drewhnovak

  24. #749
    SockMonkey
    Guest
    That NME review is obscene. The reviewer has clearly looked at the back of the CD, seen the words "Calvin Harris" and based the entire review on it. I can 100% guarantee they haven't listened to a note of it. Hilarious.

    And I was only ever going to get Bright Lights - there's no way I could buy a standard release of a CD!

  25. #750
    It is worrying. I'll never understand why you'd get someone completely uninterested in an artist to write a review. It'd be like PopJustice doing a weekly metal review.

    In other news, I'm so pleased Figure 8 is listed on the CD sticker as a single. It'll really show off the quality of the production and hopefully give her a bit of a club hit before she can move onto something a bit subtler. Only You, Halcyon and My Blood all deserve to be released, too. I Know You Care can round out the era.
    Sixty-nine is the only dinner for two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •