Login To Popjustice

If this is your first visit to the 'new' Popjustice, and you had an account on the old site, click here to request a new password.

Username:
Password:

Forgot your password? | Register

*You should probably at least attempt to remember your password, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MadgeBrit
    What void does she fill in the pop landscape, and what is the key to her massive success? I am not a fan and am mystified by her popularity.

Can someone explain the Ri phenomenon to me?
    Submit to Popjustice newsdesk

I'm not sure if there's an actual answer to this. Definitely not one that will convert nonfans to fandom I suspect.
    But as an extremely casual fan I'd say the key to the success is/was mostly in the songs.. people saw her as a one or 2 hit wonder but songs like S.O.S. and Umbrella just were smashes waiting to happen.

Her songs are fantastic to belt out along to in a club whenever you're drunk off your tits. Only reason I like her.

What a foolish thread!

What's the point to GaGa, sweater vests, or low-fat milk?

Shit exists. Get over it.....
    On a scale from 1 to Laganja Estranja, how attacked do you feel?

Originally Posted by alecxj View Post
    What's the point to sweater vests?
    Do I have to create a separate thread, or can someone actually answer this one? Because honestly, I've always wondered.

Originally Posted by MadgeBrit View Post
    What void does she fill in the pop landscape, and what is the key to her massive success? I am not a fan and am mystified by her popularity.

Can someone explain the Ri phenomenon to me?
    SOS. Umbrella. We Found Love. Russian Roulette. Is that not enough to convince you that she's a brilliant popstar?

I think her secret is constancy and durability. She releases quality pop tunes. Whilst Gaga continues to alienate the general public with her mind-numbing moralising and senseless outfits, where Katy seems a bit too sugary sweet and hollow...Rihanna is there to unite everyone. Her songs are catchy, her image robust, and she doesn't seem too pretentious or too bland. She's gone through drama and continues to fascinate us all. She's probably one of the best popstars out there right now. She's got enough ambition and drive to stay at the top. I suppose she's filled the void that Britney left now that Miss Spears is a part-time popstar.

She just has the fucking wicked ability of being able to bash out consistently BRILLIANT songs.

That's the great thing about Rihanna. There's nothing to 'get'. There's no huge concept tied in a pretty little bow. The key to her massive success is her lasting ability to get absolutely massive songs.

The fact that she's arguably one of the world's sexiest, best-looking women just adds to her appeal.
    Mutya Buena currently owns rights to use the Sugababes name on paper, cardboard, stationery and gift wrapping products.

JadeFan
    She's a social construct which installs misogyny and sexual frustration into the minds of men, and sexual perversion and glamorous intoxication into women, all the while singing like a cat is attacking her balls.

Yeah, basically it's the awesome songs! I also used to think she was a very likeable girl too, which helped. She came across very well.

But then she released Talk That Talk and went all 'thug lyf' and I just lost 90% of interest in her. However, I have no problem re-discovering love for her if she chucks out a decent album sometime next year!

I'm quite sure she's still a sweet girl - she's just acting like a cunt because she's young, fabulous, etc. All will be forgiven soon enough in her career.

The media love her because her personal life sells papers, her body sells lads' mags and her style sells fashion rags, and because she doesn't seem to have any qualms about creative control and the like, it's easy for her to leave the music to the people who know how to create a worldwide smash hit.
    At the same time, she's outspoken enough not to seem like a production line pop puppet. She has a distinct voice and a provocative attitude that make her stand out from the pack.

Since Good Girl Gone Bad she has reeked of a certain kind of "cool" that a good amount of the general populace love and resent not being themselves.

Also, hit smashes, etc.

She likes weed and alcohol enough to allow all the right people to hand her every aspect of a successful career.

Originally Posted by jinzo View Post
    She just has the fucking wicked ability of being able to bash out consistently BRILLIANT songs.

That's the great thing about Rihanna. There's nothing to 'get'. There's no huge concept tied in a pretty little bow. The key to her massive success is her lasting ability to get absolutely massive songs.

The fact that she's arguably one of the world's sexiest, best-looking women just adds to her appeal.
    This sums it up precisely.

You all know how much I hate most modern pop music. Rihanna is the exception.

A brilliant pop record is a brilliant pop record irrespective of when it's released and Rihanna has more than all of her peers put together.
    Last edited by Baby Clyde; May 13, 2012 at 01:36.
    Check you lipstick before you come and talk to me.............. Let's go Zi Lin!!!

Just look at her Twitter. Question answered.

Originally Posted by JadeFan View Post
    She's a social construct which installs misogyny and sexual frustration into the minds of men, and sexual perversion and glamorous intoxication into women, all the while singing like a cat is attacking her balls.
    Hahahaha, nice.

My question is, how is it that she's much more successful in the UK than in the US? She's quite literally dominated the UK for quite some time now. That Rihanna reign just won't let up...

The UK does that for certain US acts. Blondie were huge over here and rightfully so. We just took to them more than the US. Scissor Sisters always do really well in the UK too. Rihanna is in the same category.

Originally Posted by phily693 View Post
    My question is, how is it that she's much more successful in the UK than in the US? She's quite literally dominated the UK for quite some time now. That Rihanna reign just won't let up...

Well, as someone said earlier, there is no concept or even the remotest intelligence (which in itself is a concept if you ask me) behind Rihanna or any of her music. She just spews out whatever songs have "hit" written on them, regardless of the genre. There is no "Rihanna sound". Just big hits with her vocals. As such she is the main purveyor of lowest-common-denominator pop. She is aimed squarely at the senseless chavs and lemming-like teenagers, who are sadly very profilic here in the UK (this is said slightly tongue-in-cheek, but there is an element of truth to it I'm sure!) Hence her enduring popularity here in ol' Blighty.

For me Rihanna is, along with Beyonce, one of the most inexplicably successful stars with the fewest decent songs, but it's just not my kind of thing. Clearly it is millions of other peoples' though.

I just thank the Lord that You Da One flopped. Even by Rihanna standards (and actually following one of her better songs), that shit stunk.
    Last edited by bichard; May 13, 2012 at 11:33.
    "Black, white, straight, gay....what's the difference? We all finish ourselves off in the end anyway".

What a foolish thread!

What's the point to GaGa, sweater vests, or low-fat milk?

Shit exists. Get over it.....
    What's the problem? The original poster was asking people to explain what - for them - sums up her appeal. Surely far more interesting discussion material than what position she's currently at on iTunes?

I suppose I have a love/hate relationship with her. She has some killer songs - there's no denying that - but her patchy albums, considerable shortcomings as a live performer and unfortunate tendency to come across as a bit of an idiot all prevent her from becoming a genuine favourite of mine.

If anything, I think the Rated R album gave us a glimpse of what she could really do as an artist, but it's at odds with what her record label and probably 95% of her audience actually want from her, and for that reason I don't think she'll ever really fulfil that potential.

I think she holds Rated R close to her heart because it was that glimpse into the artiste that she could be. It's my favorite Rihanna album, and no other comes close to how much it pulls at my heart. Fire Bomb, Cold Case Love, The Last Song, Russian Roulette...my gosh. It's what actually turned me into a Rihanna 'stan'.

The songs, and occasionally she'll put an amazing video out of her hat, although that may be more Anthony Mandler than Rihanna.

You mean Cheryl Cole surely?

I think she holds Rated R close to her heart because it was that glimpse into the artiste that she could be. It's my favorite Rihanna album, and no other comes close to how much it pulls at my heart. Fire Bomb, Cold Case Love, The Last Song, Russian Roulette...my gosh. It's what actually turned me into a Rihanna 'stan'.
    See I used to think that, until the whole Chris Brown/Birthday Cake thing. Now i'm beginning to supect Rated R was created to give her a bit of a darker 'edgier' image (with one surefire hit to keep her relavent in the form of Rude Boy) and then they always planned to come storming back with an extremely commercial comeback album

There's an element of artistry that is just severely lacking with Rihanna for me.

I can't pinpoint what it is, and feel like I should be worshipping her.

But there's something missing...
    Do you wanna see the girl that lives behind the Aura?