"WHEEEEERE," Rihanna once asked, "HAAAAAAAVE YOOUU BEEEEEN?" Seven countries, as it happens, in seven days, as Popjustice joins Rihanna - and the world's media - on a specially-chartered 777. Absurd.
We actually had some time to mooch about New York today and while Rihanna did an album signing at Best Buy (we thought about popping along but the queue was huge, with fans apparently waiting since 6am for the chance to have a bit of a chat with her (mind you, we’ve been on a plane with her for seven days in the hope of doing the same)). We decided to visit One Direction world instead!
It’s basically a slightly unofficial looking pop-up shop thing near Madison Square Garden that sells a lot of 1D tat.
Inside it’s also full of delightful poetry such as this.
And this. :(
And in no way does it try and exploit fans by charging shitloads for ridiculous things like a onesie.
So here we are, the final ‘gig’ of what has been a completely ludicrous week of frustrated waiting around, amazing shows and an allusive popstar who does exactly what she wants to do, even when a plane load of the world’s media have turned feral.
It was rumoured there would be guests tonight but to be honest she doesn’t really need them. As much as everyone was banging on about access and all that boring stuff, the fact remains Rihanna knows how to deliver a fair number of hits to a crowd that genuinely want her to be amazing. More often than not, she really was.
We mentioned in the previous post that Rihanna has said some things to some people just before we landed in New York and a kindly gentleman by the name of Marcus has transcribed said interview. We’ve decided to dump some of the best quotes below.
That’s journalism right there.
- “This has been an experience every day – my sleeping was all done on on this plane. I didn’t get to spend as much time as I would have liked with you guys. I know you’re tired as well.”
- “Thank you everybody for making this trip the shit, honestly.”
- “I would do it again, but I’d sit back here so I can see the naked Australian next time.”
- “Tonight’s going go be the shit. It’s the night everything is going to pay off on, everything this week. I have friends that want to be performing so I’m going to throw a couple things in there.”
- “I have to pay attention to myself. I can’t just go and go and go. This time I had to sleep. Usually I would be back here partying my balls off, but this time I really had to pay attention, take care of my health. We’re on a plane all the time. So many people; no rest, no voice, seven shows in a row. So I tried to get as much sleep as I could.”
- “The hardest part…I guess trying to balance being a host and being a performer at the same time. I need to do my show and then shut up until the next show and then in two hours we have to fly and sleep. But I really wanted to hang out and interact with everybody and give everybody some of my time. I guess it was difficult, it was hard to be able to do that.”
Guess who showed up on the plane?
She finally answered some questions but it was about five minutes before we were due to land so we didn’t really get to hear what she was saying, apols. She seemed to have enjoyed the tour and said London was the best show so far.
Before she graced us with her presence, her band performed some acoustic songs at the front of the economy section. These included a heartrending version of Crazy In Love.
This has been passed around the plane this morning.
About this blog
Pon De Runway tracks Rihanna's 777 tour, most of which is taking place on a bloody JUMBO JET on which Rihanna and over a hundred of the world's media live for seven days, visiting seven countries. Leaving on November 13, we fly to LA then to Mexico City (November 14), Toronto (15), Stockholm (16), Paris (17), Berlin (18), London (19) then New York (20), then back to London. It's all in aid of new album 'Unapologetic', which is Rihanna's seventh album, hence all the 7 business. You can email us on email@example.com while we're 'on the road' (in the air) if you like.